Monday, March 9, 2015

Walk on the Beach


Beach activity on a sunny March afternoon
A nice walk on the beach -- sounds like a great idea, and it is, especially at sunrise or sunset, when the birds are active and the seascape belongs to its non-human inhabitants. The same walk may not be so enjoyable at high noon, when the heat of the day is oppressive and the sun broils the skin and burns the eyes.

We couldn't decide what to do today so we went over to the beach at about noon. We're just across Gulf Boulevard from Tradewinds, where our resort has arranged for facilities use by its residents, so I packed my beach bag with my swimsuit, just in case we decided on one of the Tradewinds pools rather than the beach beyond the property.

I didn't want to carry one of our heavy beach chairs, so I had nowhere to sit on the beach. I walked north for awhile, while Bob baked in the burning sun. Fortunately, the gulf waters were cool on my feet, even though the cracked shells made for an uncomfortable walk. I held my camera in the air because high tide was approaching, remembering a camera I ruined many years ago in Monterey when I was drenched by rising tides.


Parasail rides are popular on the beach


I felt hot, uncomfortable , and stupid too. Nowhere to change into my suit, without walking several hundred yards to a hotel changing room. So I stood in the stand, chairless, and sweated, while Bob broiled in his black mesh chair.

It was fun to watch the families and spring breakers, enjoying the sand and water, but I was glad to leave the beach after 90 minutes or so. There's something to be said for shade and air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment