Friday, March 13, 2015

Manatee Games

Hosing the manatee at the fishing dock
Bob called me to the balcony early yesterday afternoon to see a guy hosing a manatee beside the fishing dock. I grabbed my camera and got a few zoomed shots, but mostly I just wanted to watch.

Enjoying a drink of fresh water
The manatee was on its back, flippers skyward. It rolled over to get the other side done, head to toe. Then back over for a good hosing to the head, mouth open for a drink. We, and a growing audience at the dock, were riveted. The manatee and the guy with the hose had a friendly bond that was as magical as the playful ritual they were enacting.


Finally the hosing ended and the audience dispersed, but the manatee returned to the dock after snacking a little on the grasses near the shore. Out came the hose. I decided to go down to the dock and see for myself. The hoser said the manatee loves fresh water, but doesn't usually stay for as long as it did yesterday. I wasn't sure whether he always hoses the same manatee, but it seemed so to me.

Simple play; total magic.

Bliss

No comments:

Post a Comment