Friday, March 13, 2015

Osprey Neighbors

 





Osprey in flight over Boca Ciega Bay
I couldn't believe our good fortune when I realized that the active bird circling our little bay was an osprey. I was even more thrilled when a second bird appeared and the two appeared to be nesting in a tall tree across and a little east of our balcony. I've been trying to determine the status of the nest, which is hidden by the leaves of the tree, even on the street side.

The birds still seem to be exhibiting signs of their mating ritual, though the male's "courtship dance" hasn't been as spectacular as this article promises.  While I'm hopeful that we may see chicks before we leave, that seems improbable since the birds may not have mated yet.

Courtship dance or just landing gracefully?



 



The male's job is to provide fish for the female and the chicks in the nest, a task that can require a 6-8 fish daily catch. One of the birds flies regularly over to the Gulf of Mexico across the street, presumably to fish. Both osprey also seem to fish right here in Boca Ciega Bay. I saw one of them with a fairly large fish one day, but I wasn't quick enough with my camera to capture a shot.





Osprey staring down a crow
Yesterday evening an aggressive crow seemed to be threatening the nest. One of the osprey looked prepared to engage in battle, and the crow didn't back down. In fact, it chased the osprey like a bird of prey and stationed itself on a utility pole not far from the ospreys' tree. Both "my" birds plunked themselves on the tree above their nest, eyes on the crow. I wondered if there were perhaps eggs in the nest after all. Two years ago we saw crows methodically steal a full nest of eggs from mourning doves, and I'd hate to witness
my little osprey devoured as a treat for crows.

Exciting times on Boca Ciega Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment