Saturday, March 14, 2015

Afternoon at the Fishing Pier

Crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge
I always look forward to crossing the Skyway Sunshine Bridge and our annual visit to the fishing pier on the other side. It's a state park that attracts both sightseers and others who simply want to spend some time fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Heavy wind warnings made me a little apprehensive, but in fact, wind on the bridge was less strong than we've experienced in the past, probably because there was no crosswind. I love the height and the feeling that we're flying into the clouds through gates of gold.


A great cast!
End of the pier
The pier was full but not crowded. In the past, I've had the sense that many people were fishing out of necessity, not for recreation. Not so this year: I was happy to see a cheerful, polyglot crowd simply out enjoying a warm day on Tampa Bay. At the end of the pier, salsa music was blaring but it seemed "right" and I felt like dancing.

It was very windy on the pier and but the heavy, well balanced pelicans are unbothered by a gulf breezes. Other birds were less numerous. No dolphins at all, and only a few boats in the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment