Friday, March 27, 2015

St. Armand's Circle

John Ringling
Last year we sloshed through a downpour in St. Armand's Circle and saw nothing through the sheets of rain, so it was enjoyable to walk around and people watch yesterday afternoon. The anticipated cold front was nowhere in evidence and Sarasota was very tropical and humid.

I love the statues in the circle, especially the one of John Ringling, of Ringling Brothers Circus fame. Until the recent announcement that the circus would remove elephants from its shows, I hadn't realized the impact of circus history on this part of Florida. Ringling looks very much the Victorian gentleman in his sculpture, hardly the ringmaster I expected to see.


African children seem a long way from Sarasota
The "rich and famous" weren't in evidence but people seemed to be shopping and spending lots of money -- all except an odd looking little nun I saw darting here and there on the sidewalk. I was very curious and saw when we crossed the street that she had set up a makeshift table, with pictures of African children and other photos of her organization's good works. Turns out her presence isn't welcomed by merchants and I can see why, but she doesn't really bother anyone and I couldn't resist giving her a couple of dollars.


We had a fortifying lunch and libation at the Crab & Fin, where the food is excellent and the service is great. Before heading home, we swung by the nearby Lido Beach where the waves looked inviting but I'd left my suit at home.

Lido Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment